Thursday, March 17, 2011

childhood places....

We all have those childhood places. 
The places where we grew, played, laughed, and learned. 
The places we will never forget. 
The places we will tell our children about one day. 
For some, it may be a grandmothers house.  For others it may be a neighbors or relatives home.  
For me, it is Brighton LDS Girls Camp. 

It opened in 1922 and was dedicated by President Heber J. Grant and "The camp would provide the young women with a means to escape the pressures of city life, and encourage them to appreciate God, others, themselves, and their natural surroundings."

This is what it has done in my life and many others lives.  My sister spent several summers up there as a camper and then as a counselor and director.  I had never truely considered it until this year.  Then one day I thought, what better way to grow in the gospel and become closer to my Heavenly Father? 

I feel so blessed that I have been given the opportunity to work at this camp. 

I will be up there for 9 weeks, monday through friday.  It all boils down to around $26 dollars a day but like they say up at brighton... you come here for the experience not for the money.  There aren't very many other phases of life where I will be able to pick experience over money so I am grabbin this opportunity while I can. 

Yes, my summer may be filled with less pool sides and more hikes, less snowcones and more dutch ovens, less hangouts and more work, but it will be filled with MORE GOSPEL. 


So if you are looking for me this summer, i will be in the mountains!

1 comment: