Monday, July 9, 2012

a true love story.

My grandparents met at a seminary barn dance on November 12, 1938.  My grandma was 15 and my grandpa was in his first year at the University of Utah.  He danced with her all night and then drove her home.  He asked her to the Military Dance at the U.  He then made it a habit to call her every saturday night to ask to take her on a date that night.  My grandma decided one day that she would tell him she couldn't go and that she needed more notice.  In response, my Grandpa being the charmer that he was, said "Okay, how about a date every Saturday from now on?".  The rest is a love story that would take them from high school to a 70 year long marriage and eternal love.  A love story that doesn't end with the passing of my grandfather. This love story is eternal.

My dear Oenone,
       This is the last time that I will be able to write in your high school yearbook of south high.  It was one year ago that I wrote in your book as a Junior at South, and now you ahve blossomed into a fine Senior and on the threshold of graduation.  In the year and a half that I have known you, dear, I have been the happiest boy in town, and who wouldn't be.  South high is losing a very fine individual, a person who any boy would be proud to have for his friend.  Your personality beams about you with a golden radiance.  That certain little way you have and that smile which beams with friendliness characterize your personality.  Your hair is beautiful as it drapes over those little shoulders.  And your eyes sparkle with the radiance of youth, sweet seventeen. 
       In the time I have known you I have never had a better time.  We have been many places.  And those dances with my arms around your slender waist as we glided to the soft music will always be pleasant memories.  How proud I am of you my sweetheart.  I just have to have all of my friends meet you, and challenge them to find one better.  A girl who doesn't smoke nor drink, who is an excellent Mormon and who I hope loves me as much as I do her - they just can't be found any better. 
       Oh darling, I can't begin to express my feeling toward you.  But I can say that I hope with all of my heart that the day will come when I can ask you for your hand in marriage.  If that day comes I will be the luckiest boy in this city.  Because I know that you are worth more than your weight in gold for your charming individual personality and all of those hidden traits that slowly appear.  There are two objectives I have in life.  They are: 1. To become a successful dentist; and 2. To win your love and make you my wife for life and eternity. 
With loads of love and may our love last forever.
Bob Fairbanks.


1 comment:

  1. That is one of the sweetest things I have ever read. Every girl deserves this! Thanks for sharing shades!

    ReplyDelete